It has been more than two decades since the movie Friday (1995) released. Its plot is as wacky as the genre- stoner buddy comedy film! The movie stars Ice Cube, DJ Pooh, and Chris Tucker. It was written by Ice Cube and DJ Pooh themselves. The story is about the sixteen hours in the lives of Jones and Smokey (Cube and Tucker respectively) who owe some money to a drug dealer.
The movie was a huge success and the two sequels Next Friday (2000) and Friday After Next (2002) were also appreciated by fans. Though the latter was a minor box office success.
The movie has garnered a cult following over the years. Even the notable director Quentin Tarantino counts Friday as one of his favorite movies. An animated spin off Friday: The Animated Series was also released in 2007.
Recently Ice Cube has hinted over the fourth movie installment- Last Friday. The famous tagline for the series- a lot can go down between Thursday and Saturday… has become one of the pet lines of homies of South Central.
You might have seen the classic enough times to even remember the dialogues line by line, but we have some facts that you might not know… yet.
1. This movie was award-winning actress Meagan Good’s ‘big break’, as the girl who Smokey pushes out of the way of the ice cream truck.
2. This was also late actor Michael Clarke Duncan’s first movie. Remember him? He appears as a craps player in the scene where Deebo punches Red.
3. Nobody knows if this was done on purpose or not, but Ice Cube’s outfit in the beginning of the film is the same one he wore at the end of ‘Boyz In The Hood.’
4. There is an actual reason why no one is wearing red. Crew and actors were warned not to wear this color while filming on 126th Street in South Central.
5. #ByeFelicia is a typo, which means that you’ve been clowning people on Twitter all these years with yes, a spelling mistake. Her name is actually Felisha.
6. Another funny thing about Felisha: the actress who plays her, Angela Means, is the mother of University of Miami starting quarterback Brad Kaaya.
7. Chris Rock and Tommy Davidson almost played the role of Smokey. Where would Chris Tucker be without his big break as the weed dealer/smoker Smokey?! Thankfully for him, Chris Rock couldn’t take the role because he was busy with Saturday Night Live, and Tommy Davidson had to turn it down while he was busy with In Living Color.
8. Unlike what most people think, the movie didn’t open No.1, however, the official soundtrack did. Of course this doesn’t mean that Friday wasn’t a commercial success, because it was. The film’s budget was a mere $3.5 million, it was shot in just 20 days and eventually made over $28 million worldwide. And the movie’s soundtrack was even more successful than the film. It debuted atop Billboard’s Hot 200 chart and spent another week there.
Do you have any other fact about Friday (1995) that might be an amusing hidden gem? Tell us!